24 January 2014

Love And Prose



Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved. 


(W. Shakespeare ~ Sonnet 116)

Ex-RAF flyboy introduced me to the Bard early on in our married life (long, long ago...) as it seemed to him French and Russian authors were too often the only offering in my younger years. 

I quickly took to Twelfth Night* but whilst I found the Sonnets winsome, I struggled with his other plays. Something lost in the translation perhaps?

Did you know the first public performance of Twelfth Night was on 2 February 1602?

Sonnet 116 remains a favourite, most so at this time of the year with a celebration of Love coming up...

So what are your plans for Valentine's Day 2014?

* Favourite phrase: "If music be the food of love, play on;"
* Favourite character:  Fester the clown (never better performed than by Ben Kingsley!)

Wishing everyone a great weekend,



2 comments:

  1. It's too early to think of V day yet...lol. But soon.

    Our Okanagan library system consists of lots of libraries all linked together, you can borrow from any library, and return to any library. But they only allow up to 100 requests at a time. It's a lot slower to fill the request because it's a smaller population compared to our Coastal library system, and it seems I am always waiting impatiently for a book to come in. But that said, I am very grateful that there is a library, and that I can borrow books...I couldn't feed this habit if I had to purchase them.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jen, it seems Valentine's Day is what it is all about in the shoppes now with the Holidays behind us.
    I totally agree with you about the library being God sent though...We wouldn't have anything left for food if hubby and I purchased all the books which holds our interest!

    ReplyDelete

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!