18 August 2013

Reading, A Gift No One Should Go Without...


Sunday...

A day for resting...
In the background  Mozart 'Sinfonia Concertante', (1st movement) playing...

A day to remember the Lord...

A day to enjoy another great read...so many books, so little time...
After all, it is said housework will not kill you but why take the chance?

A cuppa, a great novel, MAC the Corgi at my feet, a gentle breeze blowing in the trees, the sun peaking through the clouds, deer drinking at the bonsai bowl and eagles flying above the island...


Leaves falling in the garden...
Autumn is approaching...

Here are a few more gems picked up whilst reading...

A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight.
( Robertson Davies)


To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.
(Victor Hugo)


A house without books is like a room without windows. (one of my favourites!)
(Heinrich Mann)

Every reader finds himself. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument that makes it possible for the reader to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have seen in himself.
( Marcel Proust)



7 comments:

  1. I too like the quote about a house without books. We have so many, and just keep getting more! Husband always finds it odd if we go places where they don't have books.
    I think you have to be careful with housework, you shouldn't push your luck, too much, and who knows what might happen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't have too many books Tracey!
      Housework is something we share in this house as we get older (wiser).
      Still I find myself more in the kitchen than anywhere else! Cooking and baking yields a happy family and in my case, they are delirious!
      Funny how we learn to juggle all sorts of things as we get on with life! It helps there are no amenties here and you must do everything from scratch!
      All the best,

      Delete
  2. wow your blog looks great thanks for sharing the quotes...Instead of reading today when we got home from church I took a nap lol...I think teaching the prek sunday school wore me out today hehehe I like the last quote best the optical instrument is a great way to describe what happens when we get our hands on a really great book :) Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, I thankyou for the compliment, particularly since you are so good with a camera and have shown us a few gems of your own!
      Nothing wrong with a nap say ex-RAF flyboy! He takes one everyday!!
      You are right, that is an excellent analogy!

      Delete
  3. You provide a perfect picture I wouldn't mind spending a day like that.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cozy is it not Merle? I prefer colours a little lighter myself (anything in the hues of the ocean and the sky!) but ex-RAF hubby prefers the Ol' English look. So our home is a little of both...at least I think so...Ol' Blighty seems to have sneaked in every room...What can I say? We have been married 38+ years...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning to read...and loving to read has made a huge difference in my life! It's helped me through so hard times, too! Sweet hugs...and sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!