27 March 2013

Has Anyone Else Heard of Brolga, The Kangaroo Mum?


Meet Chris 'Brolga' Barnes, a 6' 7" Australian, a loner who dedicates himself to being surrogate mum to baby kangaroos orphaned in road accidents who has supplanted Crocodile Dundee as the most popular Australian folk hero in Britain.


For those of you who wander about his unusual name, Brolga is Aborigene for Stork. Fitting!


Brolga, who gave up on city life 20 years ago for a shack with a 10,000-square kilometre backyard, still cleans tour buses in Alice Springs to fund his sanctuary for joeys, which despite being only 15 minutes from town is in the middle of nowhere.

"They're my family," he said. "A lot of people think I'm a crazy person but that's not true. I'm just a person who's found something that's really important to him."

Want to know more about this amazing man and his kangaroo family? There are two videos on Tania's blog (HERE) for you to see, each almost an hour long and worth  checking out!

A big thank you to Tania of 'OUT BACK' for bringing this to my attention! 




2 comments:

  1. I have heard of this guy but didn't realise he was5'7'' that is tall. Was Crocodile Dundee popular in Britain he was not so well liked here, I liked him better when he was Paul Hogan, you know he was a painter on the harbour bridge and lived in the same suburb as me when he was a kid, or so I'm told.
    Merle.............

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Paul Hogan's Crocodile Dundee character being a favourite with my Granny!

    ReplyDelete

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!