17 January 2012

Not The South Pole Yet...

We are promised snow...a little or a lot depending on which part of the Pacific NW coast you live!

Logs are stacked nearby for the wood stove, bird feeders refilled, suet and peanuts hanging for my Blue Boys (Stellar jays), assorted emergency supplies readied, including the generator (in case we lose the power...yet again), oil lamps checked, candles just in case...
Suddenly it feels like our cabin in the mountains...

A white Christmas would have been a nice touch...This, I am not so sure about it! Sigh...
The only excited member of our little family is the Corgi! As for me, I made sure hot cocoa is ready and a nice stack of books awaits by my rocking chair!

Today is the 100th anniversary of Captain R. Falcon Scott's, leader of the Terra Nova Expedition, arrival at the South Pole. Along with two other men, he survived cruel weather conditions and deprivation during those long months only to find out Amundsen had beaten him to the goal by 33 days. 
The ill-fated trio never returned. Captain Scott and his team left us however with notes and letters and incredible photos! His last entry read: 

“Every day we have been ready to start for our depot 11 miles away, but outside the door of the tent it remains a scene of whirling drift. I do not think we can hope for any better things now. We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker, of course, and the end cannot be far. It seems a pity but I do not think I can write more. R. Scott. For God's sake look after our people.”

One of those letters will be displayed in Cambridge today...I only wish I could see that!

Note: The Scott Polar Institute exhibition runs until 5 May in Cambridge!


Be sure to look at the amazing photos at the following sites:
 
 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2012/01/17/captain-scott-south-pole-100th-anniversary-contemporary-photos-and-newspapers-show-how-expedition-was-covered-at-the-time-115875-23703089/

 Blessings to all,

1 comment:

  1. I left work a couple of hours early today and had a slow drive home because of the snow. The hardest part of the drive was gettiny my car up the driveway and parked. Stay cozy and warm.

    ReplyDelete

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!