29 June 2011

Dion The Wanderer Talks Truth, Book review


Rock music was definitively not something I remember in my younger years albeit Jazz, Classical and operas sounds resonated throughout our household.
The years went by and one glorious day I met this crazy Englishman whom I am told arrived on these shores (before the Beatles) sporting long hair and carrying a guitar on his back!
Let's roll forward 36 years...yes, I married the lad. He still loves Rock & Roll and occasionally still plays his guitar.

When I spotted Dion the Wanderer on the list of books available to review I knew this was perfect for us!
Growing up much like me with Classics (his Father played the piano whilst his Mum sang), my husband tells me by the time Rock & Roll came in his life in his mid teens he was hooked!
It is then he first came to know the name of Dion DiMucci whom along with his group The Belmonts was definitively a force in the Rock & Roll movement.

 In his book Dion the Wanderer talks about his life in a candid and often revealing way. Though he has a very succesfull life, he was a very unhappy person and as you read, each chapter of the book has its own funny or sad story about those glorious years.
Although he made many friends throughout the music world he felt often loneliness. Too many of his friends dealt with drugs, alcohol and drepression problems. 
In the end, Dion finally reconnected with his Catholic roots.
'It's often said that the Church is not so much a hotel for saints as a hospital for sinners'. 
'The Church is big, and it has room for everybody.'
I found this part truly riveting!

Rediscovering his faith - something brought about by his Father in law combined with a wonderful experience in his Saviour Jesus - he finally makes his journey into a much more rewarding life.
An inspiring read riddled with information about the Rock & Roll he loves as well as many of the music names we know but most of all a story about reafirming your faith!

'When a man is doing what he loves and doing it well, he knows it'.
Dion, the name stands out. It always has!

So go ahead, roll off the top of the car, take a long drive, sing along with the Wanderer and remember those good old years! I am sure the Good Lord will hum with you!

For all those who remember the sixties and Dion, a most enjoyable gift!
And don't forget to introduce the teenagers to the Wanderer!

I gave this book 4 stars!

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company.
I was not asked to write a positive review and the opinions expressed are entirely my own.
I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Dion -- The Wanderer Talks Truth. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!